Friday 8 March 2013

A THOUSAND PAPER CRANES

Session 7

This week we started on silk painting. I can’t believe it, we have got a full house again. Ten participants, two staff members and Rozi and me. I’m beginning to worry whether I’ve got enough ready cut silk pieces, palettes, brushes, gutta …. Every table in the big dining room is full. I am talking to myself: “we will need three sessions for painting silk scarves, as they are too long, and we haven’t got enough table room!” …


Soon designs were outlined with gutta, a paste that prevents silk paint spreading across the smooth fabric, but it is also very easy to smudge. After this, the outlined shapes were carefully painted, everybody was really pleased with them. We plan to assemble them into a hanging. I can see it right now, a beautiful, vibrant hanging, brightening the dining room. We will certainly have made our mark.


 
Charlie the cat proudly showing his ginger stripes, next to the beautifully painted flower.

Most people found silk painting very relaxing. The trickiest part was applying gutta, but once that is on the rest is plain sailing.

An interesting discussion took place.
“This illness is very perfectionist. I am surprised. I nearly didn’t come today because I didn’t enjoy the stencilling. It’s too precise. There was a lot of careful cutting and prep work required, and then a disappointment when the result wasn’t what I’d expected. I found it stressful. With the silk painting, it is easier to relax and just enjoy experimenting with the painting. There’s no pressure for creating an end result. This has been a great technique for relaxing”.

“The rest of our treatment is very precise, and there is always a reason or end goal to everything. It’s great to have some time away from all that. It’s a good contrast.”
 


Coming home I immediately counted how many scarves I had, as it takes up to a week to get them from the suppliers, and I’ve bought more black and silver gutta, the most popular colours. So the materials are ready, roll on next Thursday!





No comments:

Post a Comment