Friday 19 August 2011

Looking Back

I've just spent the last week holed up in Artlink's attic foraging through the vast amount of archive material thats accumulated over the last 30 odd years.  You would not believe how much there is even after our brilliant army of volunteers managed to slim it down prior to our temporary relocation in November last year - but still there's a lot to go through.  I've spent hours sifting through mountains of photographs and flicking through annual and project reports.  I think I'm probably about half way there now.  The purpose for my foraging is not merely for a trip down memory lane, but to produce an archive book covering Artlink's life from its initial set up as Shape Up North in 1979 through to where we are today.  This comes at a time when we're back in our sparkling new building and we're getting used to having a space which feels light, bright and airy.

Often at times like this as we're looking to the future, it also gives us a good opportunity to look back at the past to acknowledge where we've come from.  I'm currently working out that Artlink's origins are from Shape (which was initially established in London), Shape Up North was then established as part of a national network of organisations across the country and then finally Artlink West Yorkshire was created in 1981 (I think, but I'm still trying to work out the timeline!)  Throughout this time there have been many milestones with Artlink which must be remembered and celebrated; such as the original refurbishment, the ticket scheme and the creation of No Limits - then to become Full Body and The Voice.  For the rest you'll have to wait for the book to be finished.

This is a busy time for Artlink as we prepare for the Re-Launch Party in November.  This will celebrate our new building, new website and publicity material, exhibition of artworks throughout the whole building and of course the archive book.

I just want to leave you now with a photo I took this week on a glorious sunny day - knowing it all felt worth it, even though I am holed up in the attic!! Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment